If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (586) 336-7373

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration


8/7/2017 (Permalink)


According to Michigan Department of Health and Human Services mold is a living thing. It has tiny seeds, called spores, that are always in the air, indoors and outside. The spores are so small, you can’t see them without a microscope. Most of the time, the spores land on something dry and nothing happens. They get sucked up in your vacuum or wiped away when you dust. But if the spores land on something that is wet, they can begin to grow into mold that you can see.

What if I think I have toxic black mold (Stachybotrys)? While stories about “toxic mold” have been on TV a lot, black mold is not worse than any other mold you may find in your house. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the term “toxic mold” is not really correct. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce poisons (called mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous. You do not need to test your mold to find out if it is “toxic mold” – just clean it up like you would any other kind of mold.

How do I stop mold from growing in my home? For mold to grow, the spores need about two days of dampness in order to put down good “roots.” If you discover a leak or a large spill, dry the area right away using towels to soak up as much water as possible. Then use a fan, if you have one, to blow air over the area to dry it completely.

How do I know if I have mold growing in my house? You cannot see mold spores because they are too small, but once the mold starts to grow, you will notice it. Mold can grow on almost anything, as long as there is a little bit of water for a couple of days. The growing mold can be different colors: white, gray, brown, black, yellow, orange or green. It can be fluffy, hairy, smooth or flat and cracked, like leather. Even if you can’t see the mold, you will be able to smell it. Mold can smell very musty, like old books or wet dirt.

Should I hire someone to test for mold in my home? Having someone test your house for mold costs a lot of money and is not really useful. You can probably find the mold just using your eyes and your nose. Look in places that you know are often wet or damp, like bathrooms or the kitchen; or that have been wet because of leaks, floods or broken pipes. If you have mold, you will probably find it in those areas.

The professionals at SERVPRO of Marine City/Romeo have been trained in mold remediation. Call us day or night at 586-336-7373.

Other News

View Recent Posts