If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (586) 336-7373

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Flood Vs Water Damage and your insurance

7/8/2020 (Permalink)


The National Flood Insurance Program defines flood as: A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from: 

  • Overflow of inland or tidal waters;

  • Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source;

  • Mudflow; or

  • Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.

Water Damage

Unlike a flood, water damage is typically covered under homeowners insurance, but you should read your policy carefully to determine exactly what kind of water damage the insurer will cover. In general, water damage differs from flood damage in that it occurs before water comes in contact with the ground. For example:

  • Severe rainstorms soak through your roof, damaging walls and floors.

  • An upstairs pipe bursts and water saturates the ceiling below.

  • A toilet overflows soaking your bathroom floorboards.

  • A hailstorm breaks your windows and allows water into your home.

Simply put, the main difference between a flood claim and a water damage claim is that flood water comes from a natural source and two or more properties are involved (if you reside in a generally residential versus rural area). If you and your neighbors are all having water issues due to heavy rains and/or rising waters, then you are likely dealing with a flood insurance claim. On the other hand, if you are dealing with water in your house but your neighbor doesn’t have any issues (again, in a residential area), you are most likely dealing with a water damage claim.

Generally, insurance companies cover water damages where the home or business owner could not prevent the hazard. However, you may have trouble convincing an insurance company to cover damage caused by a maintenance problem that they believe should have been repaired—such as a leaky roof that lets in rain, a faulty toilet that overflows frequently, or continuous leaking near a faucet.

The most important thing you can do is to carefully review your insurance policies so that you know precisely what will and will not be covered, preferably before your home or office is damaged by a flood and other types of water damage.

Source: https://www.ncmic.com/learning-center/articles/insurance/business-insurance/flood-damage-vs-water-damage/

Other News

View Recent Posts