Do you have mold?
What is mold? Mold is a living thing. It has tiny seeds, called spores, that are always in the air, indoors and outside. The spores are so small, you can’t see them without a microscope. Most of the time, the spores land on something dry and nothing happens. They get sucked up in your vacuum or wiped away when you dust. But if the spores land on something that is wet, they can begin to grow into mold that you can see.
How do I know if I have mold growing in my house? You cannot see mold spores because they are too small, but once the mold starts to grow, you will notice it. Mold can grow on almost anything, as long as there is a little bit of water for a couple of days. The growing mold can be different colors: white, gray, brown, black, yellow, orange or green. It can be fluffy, hairy, smooth or flat and cracked, like leather. Even if you can’t see the mold, you will be able to smell it. Mold can smell very musty, like old books or wet dirt.
If the mold is growing on something that can be cleaned with bleach and water, and you do not have asthma or other health problems, you can probably clean the mold yourself. If the area that is moldy is very large or you have health problems, you may want to hire a contractor to do the work for you. If you decide to clean the mold yourself, please read the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services’ “Steps for Cleaning Mold” fact sheet before you start.
If you suspect you have mold contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Marine City/Romeo at (586) 336-7373.